The Rare Earth Hypothesis suggests that our planet may the product of an incredibly improbable sequence of events, and thus perhaps intelligent life is extremely rare in the cosmos. Here we tackle this highly influential idea and the arguments behind it. But, digging deeper, we’ll uncover some problems with the Rare Earth idea – some of which strike to the very core of our scientific quest.
Written & presented by Prof David Kipping
→ Support our research program: https://www.coolworldslab.com/support
→ Get Stash here! https://teespring.com/stores/cool-worlds-store
THANK-YOU to our supporters D. Smith, M. Sloan, L. Sanborn, C. Bottaccini, D. Daughaday,A. Jones, S. Brownlee, G. Fulton, N. Kildal, M. Lijoi, Z. Star, E. West, T. Zanjonc, C. Wolfred, F. Rebolledo, L. Skov, E. Wilson, A. de Vaal, M. Elliott, B. Daniluk, M. Forbes, S. Vystoropskyi, S. Lee, Z. Danielson, C. Fitzgerald, V. Alexandrov, L. Macchia, C. Souter, M. Gillette, T. Jeffcoat, H. Jensen, F. Linker, J. Rockett, N. Fredrickson, B. Mlazgar, D. Holland, J. Alexander, E. Hanway, J. Molnar, D. Murphree, S. Hannum, T. Donkin, K. Myers, A. Schoen, K. Dabrowski, J. Black, R. Ramezankhani, J. Armstrong, K. Weber, S. Marks, L. Robinson, F. van Exter, S. Roulier, B. Smith, P. Masterson, R. Sievers, G. Canterbury, J. Kill, J. Cassese, J. Kruger, S. Way, P. Finch, S. Applegate, L. Watson, T. Wheeler, E. Zahnle, N. Gebben, B. Weaver, C. Macdonald, M. Hedlund, P. Kaup, D. Osborn, D. Gustafson, M. Hedlund, N. Laugman, P. Kaup, T. Lindén, T. Brenard & I. Banks.
Music licensed by SoundStripe.com (SS) [shorturl.at/ptBHI], or via Creative Commons (CC) Attribution License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), or with permission from the artist
► Falls – Ripley
► Hill – There Is but One Good [https://open.spotify.com/album/4pmiXcyRpPlFjWjb45pYLx]
► Chris Zabriskie – Cylinder Two
► Falls – Life In Binary
► Hill – Bruised Hope [https://open.spotify.com/album/2oDAnUfX0OYYOnuIToAEcX]
► Hill – Looking for the Profound [https://open.spotify.com/album/69IrML6Y4K3Wh1pZr3L4Jb]
► Indive – Trace Correction
#RareEarth #AreWeAlone #CoolWorlds
- Why Starship Could Transform Astronomy
- Can Moons Have Moons?
- The Wow! Signal After 45 Years
- 10 Spooky Solutions to the Simulation Hypothesis
- Will We Run Out Of Lithium?
- JWST Reveals Exoplanets As Never Seen Before
- Does Quantum Entanglement Allow for Faster-Than-Light Communication?
- Beyond Human: A Billion Years of Evolution and the Fate of Our Species
- Rare interview with Colby Landrum on his 1980 UFO encounter
- The Ultimate Problem for Deep Space Missions – Galactic Cosmic Radiation and SpaceX Starship
- Schelling Points for Alien Contact
- Incredible Video Of the Moon Eclipsing The Earth #Artemis1 #Shorts
- Lazarus Stars – Extending Stellar Lifespans by Billions of Years
- How Does A.I. Handle An Astrophysics Final Exam?
- The Problem With General Relativity with Prof. Brian Keating