Skip to content
- On June 27th 1999, Tony Hawk became the worlds first skateboarder to land a 900. This was one of the most memorable dates in sports, and particularly, skate history.
- TIL the Cherokee writing system was made by one man, Sequoyah. It’s one of the only times in history that someone in a non-literate group invented an official script from scratch. Within 25 years, nearly 100% of Cherokee were literate, and it inspired dozens of indigenous scripts around the world.
- TIL the game Oregon Trail was developed by 3 college students trying to teach history creatively. The first version was coded in just 10 days in 1971 and played by middle schoolers for 5 days. The code was given to an educational nonprofit in 1974, and the creators never profited from the game.
- My wife’s favorite holiday has been Groundhog Day since she was a little girl. Today I was able to take her to be there in person for the first time. Worth the 7+ hour drive and 4 hour wait in 14°F weather this morning.
- A family poses in front of a 1,341 year old Sequoia tree nicknamed “Mark Twain” that was felled in 1892 after a team of two men spent 13 days sawing it in the Pacific Northwest. The giant tree was 331 feet tall (100 meters).
- The secrets behind one of the most damaging spies in U.S. history
- Bardella On Jan. 6 Committee: This Was The Most Nonpartisan Investigation In U.S. History
- My supervisor told me today that he could have another person ready to take my job an hour after I left if need be, I was only inquiring about a raise I was supposed to get anyway, this was also during my break surrounded by other coworkers. So I said “start the timer” And I left.
- David Goggins a U.S Navy Seal running The San Diego One Day. The race was 100 miles in 24 hours. He had zero prior training running ultramarathons and little to no food. He finished the race in 19 hours on broken legs and in kidney failure.
- At a geology lecture, a spectator’s chair broke and he was the only one in view of the camera.
- Google to cut 12,000 jobs and I was one of them. But I’m kinda glad I was laid off
- Lawrence: History Was Made With Zelenskyy’s Speech To Congress
- Made a promise to myself to do something every day to lose weight in 2022. I lost 67 kg (~150 lbs) in one year.
- TIL: To “protect the truth,” a woman recorded hundreds of thousands of hours of TV news between 1977 and 2012. Her archives grew to about 71,000 VHS and Betamax tapes stacked in her home and apartments she rented to store them. Upon her death, the Internet Archive agreed to digitize the volumes.
- India’s tallest elephant, Thechikottukavu Ramachandran – Still alive at age 58 he has killed a record 15 people and 3 elephants in his lifetime and is branded as the most dangerous captive elephant in the state