Skip to content
- In The Social Network (2010), Zuckerberg states that he doesn’t want to “install pop-up’s for Mountain Dew” because he’d be selling out. Throughout the deposition scenes, he’s seen with a can of Mountain Dew.
- Cautionary tale or happy ending? Factors that make a difference in difficult mountain rescue efforts
- This enormous underground city that once housed around 20,000 people was accidentally discovered by a man after knocking down a wall in his basement. Archaeologists revealed that the city was 18 stories deep and had everything needed for underground life, including schools, chapels, and even stables
- Bernie Sanders: Declining life expectancy is ‘issue of enormous consequence’
- TIL Mount Everest is named after Sir George Everest despite him having zero connection to the mountain (he never even saw it) and against his own wishes. He objected to the naming on the grounds that “Everest” could not be easily written in Hindi nor pronounced by the local people.
- Just my dog and I atop a mountain.
- Bernese Mountain Dog Refuses To Come Inside When Its Snowing
- Mountain glacier melting is linked to shifting westerlies and likely to accelerate
- In the 1970s, archaeologists in Bulgaria unearthed a vast Copper Age necropolis from the 5th millennium BCE. Inside burial 43 they found the remains of a high status male with more gold than it was found in the entire rest of the world in that period.
- In Die Hard (1988), the couple hooking up in the beginning are still together in the end.
- Police in UK utilised a metal detector in in order to tackle and deter knife possession.
- TIL in Nome, Alaska in 1925, a diphtheria epidemic struck and there was no antitoxin left. Land, air, and sea routes were unavailable, so 20 mushers and 150 sled dogs relayed the serum across 674 miles in 5 1/2 days, in subzero temperatures, near-blizzard conditions and hurricane-force winds.
- TIL in 2017, a woman named Chau Smith ran seven marathons in seven consecutive days on seven continents in celebration of her 70th birthday.
- In one of the most rewarding shots of my career, I captured the International Space Station in conjunction with the 53-mile-wide Tycho crater on the moon. More details in the comments.
- TIL There are only two confirmed cases of a Kangaroo fatally attacking a person: attacking a hunter in 1936 and a 77 year old woman in 2022. In contrast Lulu, a pet kangaroo, saved a farmers life by alerting the farmers family after a tree fell upon him in 2003.