Skip to content
- TIL Warren Buffett bought Berkshire Hathaway purely out of spite. In the 60s it was a failing textiles company which he wanted to sell his stake in. When its president lowballed him, he bought the whole company just to fire him. In 2010, he said it was the biggest investment mistake he ever made.
- A family poses in front of a 1,341 year old Sequoia tree nicknamed “Mark Twain” that was felled in 1892 after a team of two men spent 13 days sawing it in the Pacific Northwest. The giant tree was 331 feet tall (100 meters).
- My dad’s ” Rod of discipline” he used on me when I was a child. Found it in the basement.
- An archivist found a long forgotten 8mm film reel in an old metal box, marked “Philipines 1942”. Thinking it was lost WWII footage, he sent it in to be restored/digitized. When he got the footage back, he found puppies instead.
- I grew up in a homeless shelter and now at age 27 I’m on the board of directors for the shelter! When I was a child living in the shelter I remember being given wrapped Christmas presents and now I have been able to make a full circle! I got to wrap presents for the kiddos living in the shelter.
- This is from the cat scan of a massive stroke I suffered in May. I had a 4% chance of survival, a 0.16% chance of not showing or suffering any indications of a stroke. I was supposed to be paralyzed if I survived. Was back at work in 2 weeks. I seem perfectly fine, it is creeping doctors out.
- My family never remembers my birthday, i havent celebrated since i was little. This is my husband’s first time being home for one and he flew in, middle of the night with pie and a new car for me bc he knew it had been a rough day. I love him
- So i was at the mall to watch a movie and this cop approached me and i was like,”ahhh,he is gonna check me for weed in front of everyone and make a scene”. But he sweetly came up to me with a smile and wanted to click a pic with me to show his son. Here is the pic, Keep Smiling:)) Have a nice week:)
- Anthony Borges was 15 when he shielded twenty students from the Parkland shooter by blocking a classroom door almost 5 years ago (Feb 14, 2018). Taking several bullets himself and surviving while securing the door, he was dubbed “the real Iron Man”.
- TIL that in 1984 Weird Al Yankovic’s single “Eat It” reached number 1 in Australia. It outranked the song that it was making a parody of, Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,” which only reached number 3.
- TIL the “empty London” scenes in 28 Days Later were achieved by filming at dawn and simply asking people to stop walking through shots, as there was no room in the $8m budget to actually shut down any parts of the city.
- I thought I lost $350 and then three months later I found it in my four year olds room
- Young Mao Zedong statue is located on Orange Isle in Changsha, Hunan. The monument stands 32 metres (105 ft) tall and depicts Mao Zedong’s head. The Hunan People’s Government began building it in 2007 and it was completed two years later, in 2009. It took more than 800 tons of granite
- TIL that the “Christmas bonus” given by the UK government to disabled people has been fixed at £10 ever since it was introduced in 1972. Had it been adjusted for inflation it would be more than £130 now.
- Mario Puzo, the author of the Godfather books who’d also adapted them to film, had no idea what he was doing as he’d never written a screenplay before. After winning two Oscars, he decided to buy a book on screenwriting to learn how. In the first chapter, it said “Study Godfather I”